Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Not the News We Wanted but . . .

We got word from our facilitator this morning. Apparently she has answered all of our emails but for some reason we weren't receiving her replies. We were afraid that might be the case because there were some days we didn't received ANY mail at all. She said the court hasn't had the hearing yet (the preliminary hearing prior to the actual adoption court) Instead, today she received a written request from the court requesting extra copies of our dossier. Her husband will take care of these tomorrow. I get the feeling our judge is proceeding very carefully and cautiously, probably since (s)he has not handled an international adoption case before.

Of course, we want everything done right . . . but FAST!! :) :) :)

I am really missing Steven. I can't imagine what is going on in his little head right now. Maybe "these people named Mama and Daddy were visiting me, hugging me, holding me, playing with me, giving me stuff and now where are they?" Of course, I don't imagine he's putting his feelings into words but I would think it would be very confusing to him. I don't want him to lose any trust he was beginning to build in us. I wonder if he's acting sad or even angry? Or worse, what if he just puts us out of his mind?

Please pray for our facilitators, for the judge, for Steven, for us, for our finances. Please pray for our baby-sitter who is also just 'hanging' along with us, not knowing when we will need her. Please pray that we'll at least be there by Steven's birthday in early March.

And a totally non-related but very important reason we need to get back there is I don't think we can claim Caleb on our income taxes until he has a U.S. social security number and we can't get that until we have a birth certificate and we can't get that until we are back in Ukraine. I would really like to get our taxes filed as early as possible because you all might guess we could definitely deal with a tax refund any time now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get court soon!
FYI, we filed for an extention when our daugthers SS# did not come as expected and then got the tax credit very quickly after that-like one week later. It was very easy to file for an extention and we got our refund quicker because the IRS was not so busy then. Hang in there!

Mandy said...

Joy, not sure if this would help you but when I went to the SS office all I had on Alex, was his US Citizenship paper - (she did ask for the court decree, which I didn't have but got around it) I did need to know where he was born though. Maybe the lady was being nice or maybe it was because I took Alex along? Just a thought......Praying you are able to get Steven soon :)

liesel said...

Praying you'll have him home soon. I have a feeling he knows you're coming back for him. :)

orphans4me said...

Thanks for the info about taxes and such. The weird thing is that when I went to the SS office I had Caleb, his citizenship paper, his passport, his adoption decree and a photocopy of the new birth certificate but she said I had to have the original. Of course, at that time I thought I'd be receiving the original in the mail in a couple of weeks so was just annoyed, not really concerned.
Joy

Chris and Mary Malone said...

We hope things move along quickly. You must be frustrated...but know you're trusting God.

Arizona mom to eight said...

Oh Joy, I know you have to be so disappointed. :*o( I know they are telling Steven you are coming for him. (((((hugs)))))
I forgot you did not have Caleb's BC. I hope you will get news soon.