Sunday, January 27, 2008

Quiet Day

Picture: Kevin and milk in a bag
It is so weird to think that it is 8pm here but my children are still in Sunday morning church service at home! Hopefully by next week we can find a church to go to. There is a tiny little church-looking building across the street with the beautiful gold-colored rounded roofs that rise to a tall peak with ornate crosses on top that make me think it's an orthodox church of some sort but it looks like 8 people would hardly fit in it. My body still has not adjusted to the time change either, I guess. After sleeping 14 hours yesterday I wasn't sleepy at bedtime and stayed up for hours reading this archeological fiction book I brought with me, then slept several hours, then read more, then slept more and got up at 2:00 pm again. It gets dark about 5 pm so my weird sleeping schedule makes for very few hours of daylight.

BUT we found out that we need to meet our driver at 7 am in the morning for an 8 am appt, I guess with the orphanage director. So it looks like we finally will get to meet our son! I'm told that after this our fees include two trips per week to the orphanage and that we are responsible to hire a driver ourselves for other visits.

I have been trying to get caught up on reading all my emails. I got majorly behind in the last week or so before travel trying to get so many loose ends tied up. So please, I hope no one thought I was rude for not replying to any comments or well-wishes concerning our trip--I am just now seeing them. (I had 5 PAGES of emails including RR digests when I got here!) I know I was so glued to my computer when other people were traveling--and it touches me deeply to read how you guys are following the journeys of all of us here in Ukraine.

Interesting-to-me Tidbits of information:

We bought milk that says it is 2.5% but it is so creamy it reminds me of the milk we used to get from my grandpa's farm.

I have not seen ANY bugs, spiders -- only animal I've seen so far was a cat outside our apartment. And I've only seen about 3 children (though, maybe children here don't enjoy shopping any more than my own kiddos :)

I was noticing last night I hadn't heard anyone swearing--then remembered I wouldn't know the difference! However there was sufficient bad language on the English channel tonight to more than make up for it--stuff that would have either not been allowed or would have at least been 'bleeped' at home. Kevin was snoring through it so I just turned it off.

Someone actually stopped us on the street this evening and asked us a question--of course, we didn't know what she was saying but it made me think that maybe the fact we are Americans wasn't as outwardly obvious as I thought.

Should have a lot more to report tomorrow. Thanks for all your love and prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at your meeting in the morning....can't wait to hear how it went. try to get some sleep you are going to need it. You are in our thoughts and preayers.

Anonymous said...

DEAR MOM AND DAD I MISS YOU. SLEEPING AT BOB AND COOKIE HOUSE WAS EXCITING TOO ME, WE PLAYED WITH TIPPY AND CHAMPION AND GOT SCRACED IN THE ARM
LOVE JAMES

DEAR MOM AND DAD I PUSHED THE WAGON AND PLAYED WITH TIPPY AND CHAMPION.
LOVE BILLY

DEAR MOM AND DAD I MISS YOU I LIKE TIPPY AND CHAMPION THEY HAVE ANOTHER DOG NAMES SHELBY THEIR GRANDDAUGHTER CAME OVER AND MADE A MESS
LOVE TERESA

DEAR MOM AND DAD CAN'T WAIT TELL YOU GET HOME WE ALMOST ONE THE BASKETBALL GAME IMADE SOMETHING FOR YOU ARE YOU HAVING FUN
LOVE SCHERI

Anonymous said...

Kevin & Joy - we sure missed you today at church. Your mom commented though how nice it was to be hearing from you. You have us all on the edge of our seats waiting to hear your next adventure!!! I can't wait to see if Kevin got the pepper crushed in the cup with the bottom of the knife! The kids seemed great today. They came running in right to Joyce for hugs - I think they were lonely!! They seemed fine. We had great services - I'm praying for you tomorrow with your meeting - God will prepare the path before you. Bruce is trying to get your dad warmed up to the idea of letting him educate him on the computer. We have a lot of fun with your folks - they are wonderful people, indeed. We love and miss you! Linda

Anonymous said...

Dear mom and dad,love u and i hope u are having fun bob smokes and i don't like it.
please,write back,
love scheri

Arizona mom to eight said...

Good Luck at your appointment, I know you can;t wait to see your son, we are waiting for pictures of you all together!

Kris RR